About the Team
The Emerging Verticals Team is responsible for identifying & scaling the next vertical across onto DoorDash’s Marketplace. This is a team consisting of 4 strategic sellers across DashMart + MM Grocery, Pets, and Alcohol as well as a vendor team lead overseeing Retail, Convenience, and Alcohol across pre-sale, implementation, and post-sale.
About the Role
As the leader of our Emerging Team, you will own building new segments within DoorDash. What we’re building for these customers is unique: a Marketplace and platform service that allows them to attract new customers, catalog their inventory, and reach their existing customers in new ways. In our quest to be your digital key to the physical world, new verticals represent the new major segments after Restaurants that we aim to win. You will also be responsible for sales performance, hiring, retention, job satisfaction, and the team development for your organization, as well as expanded leadership initiatives across the full DoorDash SMB/MM Sales organization.
You will report into the Director of New Verticals within our SMB Sales Organization. You will work closely with our New Categories Mx S&O, Sales Ops, and General Management teams.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Build: We are far from done building at DoorDash. You will build teams by recruiting vertical leaders, build programs aimed at growing our people, and build sales functions and motions that increase our productivity.
- Train: these are new verticals for us, you will be responsible for learning it from the ground up and training your team in prospecting strategies, pitching process, and closing tactics to help them succeed.
- Growth: To achieve multi-generational success, we need to have the strongest talent on our team. We’ll get there not only by recruiting the best, but also, you will apply deliberate development efforts to that talent to give them the tools to succeed across individual and team functions.
- Perform: hitting selection goals is the key to success in all of our new verticals. We operate under a quarterly Objective and Key Result (OKR) system; it’s the responsibility of our Senior Manager of Pre-Sales is to drive the team’s performance into the green each quarter, surface the voice of the market, and ask for what is needed to get the team back on track when headwinds set us back.
- Collaborate: Beyond leading your team, it will be your responsibility to help your cross teams across Merchant Strategy, Sales Ops, Sales Planning, HR, Recruiting, Finance relate to the pain points of our merchants andS Sales Reps. Without obsessing over this pain, we will not move as quickly as we need to to remain empathetic to the needs of our customers.
- Motivate: the key input to success is our people. The chief constraint on hitting selection goals is doing so while building a high morale team.
We’re excited about you because…
- 6-8+ years leading sales teams. Foundational experience overseeing and developing sales team members, from sales development to closing roles.
- 4+ years leading sales organizations. We require the experience of leading organizations consisting of several layers and many functions.
- Mid-Market and/or SMB pre-sales expertise (prospecting, appointment setting, pitching, closing, activating)
- At least 6-8+ years pre-sales management or senior management experience managing leaders
- At least 2+ years at DoorDash (if applicable) OR Seed Stage → Series B or C growth
- Track record of consistently achieving 100+% to goal
- Experience leading and/or contributing to strategic planning cycles
- Acute understanding of sales operations and processes
- Experience building a business, vertical, or product in the past
- Track record of hiring top performers
- Can interface between C-Suite and Reps
- Comfort with our tech stack, including Salesforce.com, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Outreach.io, Chorus.ai
- You’re a builder at heart — you dream big and start small when it comes to business and people leadership and are an owner of deal strategy, job competencies, lead segmenting, and the other key pieces of infrastructure that allow your team to succeed
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity — goals will be aggressive and infrastructure shaky; in the face of uncertainty you truth seek to find problems and show a bias for action to marry those problems with solutions
- You are DoorDash first — you work well with others under the one team one fight mindset and choose optimism on solving pain points in our sales and service of top local grocers
- You’re an insightful communicator — you operate at the lowest level of detail to understand our grocer’s or operation’s problems, think outside of the room to identify the audience who most needs to help solve them, and clearly articulate in writing and verbally why these problems should be prioritized
- You’re a people expert — you have led People OKRs to help others get 1% better every day, regularly lead trainings to demonstrate what it means to be customer obsessed, and, because of your focus on culture and growth, maintain exceptional employee voice survey results
- You’re an empathetic leader — you have a track record of making room at the table for diverse perspectives; building a team that achieves the what is not enough, you accomplish the what and (not or) display our values in demonstrating the how
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day.
We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.
We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We’re committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
The location-specific base salary range for this position is listed below. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
Actual compensation within the pay range will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior relevant experience, and specific work location. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, base salary is localized according to employee work location. Please discuss your intended work location with your recruiter for more information.
DoorDash cares about you and your overall well-being, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package, for full-time employees, that includes healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan including an employer match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid time off, paid parental leave, and several paid holidays, among others.
In addition to base salary, the compensation package for this role also includes opportunities for equity grants.
Jobs available in location : United States – Remote